Arthritis is a well common condition known in both animals and humans. As your pets will reach his golden years, they can possibly develop arthritis and experience discomfort as the condition progresses. This will cause them inflammation in their joints and damages to their bones specifically in their hips, elbows, ankles and other areas. At Animal 911 Veterinary Hospital, we can provide your furry family members with diverse types of medications and treatments to help manage the pain and the symptoms.
What are the symptoms that I should look for?
The symptoms may vary for every pet and can manifest at different stages of his life, but these are the symptoms that you should look for:
- Groaning or wincing when laying down/getting up
- Difficulty to jump and climb
- Slower pace in general and may be limping/trembling when walking
- Losing interest in his usual activities (playing)
If you see any of these symptoms appear, do not hesitate to contact our team at 514-685-8387 to schedule your next consultation.
How should I care for my pet who’s suffering from arthritis?
To reduce this discomfort, there is some treatments options recommended by veterinarians. Depending on which symptoms your pet is experiencing, there is a variety of therapies that your veterinarian may recommend.
- Medication (e.g. anti-inflammatory, pain relievers)
- Supplements (e.g. the ones that help with joint health)
- Environment modification (e.g. soft carpeting and dog beds, raised food bowls, installing ramps)
- Physical rehabilitation (e.g. massage therapy, hydro therapy)