National Poison Prevention week

March 21, 2018

National Poison Prevention week

National Poison Prevention week March 18th-24th 2018 raises awareness nationwide on the #1 leading cause of accidental deaths in the US. We would like to take this opportunity to help pet parents recognize potential toxins for our animals. Every year, thousands of cats & dogs suffer accidental ingestion of poisons. In 2016 the Animal Poison Control Center received 180,639 cases! Here are the top 10 most commonly ingested by pets in 2016.

10. Garden Products: Make sure your herbicides and fungicides are safely stored. If you are hiring someone to treat your yard, ask about the products they use. Don`t just take their word for it, check if the products used are safe for your pets.

9. Plants: There are many species of plants that can be toxic to pets if ingested. Be sure to check before bringing any new plants into your home.

8. Rodenticides: Mouse and rat poisons can be just as toxic to your pet. Opt for a more humane alternative which will also be safer for your pet.

7. Insecticides: Use with caution around your pets.

6. Chocolate: The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it can be. Never give any amount of chocolate to your pet and always keep it well out of reach. Make sure children are aware the threat their candy can pose to their furry friend if it is left in reach.

5. Household items: Cleaning supplies, glue, etc.

4. Veterinary Products: Many of our products are flavoured to make administration easier. These should be safely stored so your dog doesn’t think he’s found a box of cookies.

3. Food: Human foods such as onions, garlic, grapes, raisins and xylitol sweeteners are toxic for pets.

2. Over the counter medication: A normal dose of Tylenol for a human can be extremely toxic for a small cat or dog.

1. Prescription medication: including heart medications, antidepressants and ADHD medications. Always be attentive when medicating yourself or someone else. Take your medication over a plugged sink if possible so you will have a smaller surface to search if you drop it. Ideally place the pet OUTSIDE of the room where you will be taking or administering the medication and CLOSE THE DOOR firmly. Do not underestimate how quickly your pet might ingest a pill that you drop. Your pet can easily mistake it for a falling piece of food and swallow it before you can react.
If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call the pet poison hotline
24/7 Animal Poison Control Center

1-855-764-7661

$59 USD per incident fee applies (free for pets+us pet insurance members).

Keep this phone number as well as your pet’s veterinarian and the local 24/7 emergency Vet hospital in your pet’s first aid kit.